Toronto City Hall, Nathan Phillips Square
100 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
Designed by Finnish architect Viljo Revell, the winner of an international competition, the building opened in 1965. It was built to replace Old City Hall, which was built in 1899. The public space in front of the building, Nathan Phillips Square, was part of the competition. Its reflecting pool and concrete arches, fountain, and overhead walkways were thus part of Revell's submission. It has since seen several monuments, sculptures, and other works of public art added, and is undergoing a renovation, but it continues to complement the city hall with its original Modernist design elements.